Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How do you love difficult people?

God gave us a simple guide for behavior in Matthew 7:1-5 (The Message) which says: "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.” In this, I am able to see my faults. I am able to see that although I perceive myself as someone who shows love to everyone...I really don’t! Lately, when someone wrongs me, I feel the need to fight back and show no empathy for that person or what they could be dealing with behind the scenes. I am allowing the difficult people in my life to control my feelings which is causing me to disobey God’s command which clearly states: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35).

In spite of how I am treated, I am still obligated to show love because that is what God commanded of us and that is what He expects of us. I believe there is one God! But even the demons believe that – and shudder (James 7:19). This proves to me that I have to step up my game and be who God created me to be. I AM NO DEMON! So I will no longer put my focus on the actions of others, but I will look at myself and how I react to their actions. If my actions do not align with God’s word, then I need to change them. He lovingly tells us in Ephesians 4:2 to “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

Dear Lord,

I sometimes come in contact with people who seem to be truly awful and hard to deal with. Help me see these difficult people as You see them. You created each of us in Your likeness with good qualities and a purpose for living. Let me look for the good in everyone and to find in each person their Christ-like traits. I pray, too, Lord, that these people find peace and happiness in their lives. Help me to accept and forgive others for their failing and to treat all people with the respect and love you expect.


Your word tells us in Matthew 7:7-8 to “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” Father, I am asking for your help and guidance dealing with difficult people. Help me see them through your eyes. I am asking for strength and understanding regarding their behaviors. Above all, am also asking for your forgiveness for my reaction to their actions and not showing them the love you show me and commanded me to show them. I am asking for you to intercede on my behalf. I am seeking counsel from you regarding the difficult people in my life and I am knocking on your door for grace and mercy. My situation is in your hands now, Father! Let your will be done and not my own!

In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.

No comments: